Friday, March 1, 2013

Not off the beaten path

I continue my streak of traveling to places NOT off the beaten path. Right now I am at an all-inclusive resort in Puerto Vallarta. Very much on the beaten path. I think they actually comb down the sand on the beach each night. Everyone speaks English. Typically, I say something to the staff or waiters that I think is in excellent Spanish, and they reply in English. Only after begging that they speak Spanish to me so that I can practice do they let loose -- and I catch barely 20% of what they are saying. But they are so nice and sweet and excited to help me.

This morning my waiter had such a long conversation (plática) with me in Spanish (most of which I didn’t understand, but I think it was about how many people here only speak English, that he had only been able to speak English at a conversational level for a year, and that if I come back tomorrow so-and-so from the wait staff could tell me more about the next town I am visiting) that I was afraid he was going to get in trouble.

I’m not quite yet on vacation, as tonight the events related to my editorial meeting begin. But I have Internet here on the beach and made an appointment at the hotel spa for this afternoon, so it’s not exactly working either!

Here is the sunset from last night at dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment