Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Some pics.

I tell you, this kind of intensive learning is not for the feeble or foolhardy (i.e., it may not be for me!). Add in kids (or at least one kid) who think skype is a great way to keep mom informed of every emotional drama and this has been a very stressful day. Had my first breakdown.

But nevermind that: how about some pictures? I received a request for pictures of what it's like where I live and at the school. I'm afraid you'll find it is much like any room where one boards and any school in the semi-tropics known as the land of eternal spring. But here you are:

This is my street. Not all streets in Cuernavaca are paved with stones, but many are. And nearly all streets are lined with walls. All the homes around here seem to be walled off at the street.
This is the gate to my house.
a small yard and driveway are to the left as you enter the gate. Then follow the brick path to the main part of the house, and follow on around back to my room.
This is the entrance to my room in the back (you can see me taking the picture in the glass).
This is my bed and little desk.
There are actually two beds in my room, but I am the only student staying here now.
Here is a view of the courtyard at the school, from one of the upstairs classrooms. This is where everyone goes when the bell rings. We get "recess" every hour. This is when the students who are not in the same class can visit. There is an eclectic group of students.
This is one of the classrooms. I now have three classes a day: one for conversation and two for grammar. There are only two students in my classes: me and one other, but different students between conversation and grammar. One can get pretty personal in conversation class, when we are supposed to just start talking about things: I feel like I have given a synopsis of my life, in Spanish, at least three times.
The Palacio Cortes in the central square. I haven't been in yet, so I'm not quite sure what it was, but it looks like a castle of some kind. The cathedral is in a different part of the city.
The main square on my first day here, a Sunday. It was packed with people, and these big screens, and bands. It is not as busy other nights of the week, but this is not a sleepy city.
For example: salsa dancing, on a Tuesday night. This goes on every night apparently, at one of the restaurants that borders the square. People just dance right in between the tables, and when that is too crowded, they take it out into the square. Imagine men coming right up to ask you to dance, and knowing how! I don't think you find that much back home!

No comments:

Post a Comment