Sunday, August 7, 2011

Salisbury, Stonehenge

I had made this trip years ago, with my good friend Cindy, freeloading with her group of students doing a semester in London. On that trip, I remember being somewhat underwhelmed by Stonehenge and overwhelmed by the cathedral at Salisbury. This time, it was the reverse. I guess I had my expectations lowered by Arthur's constant harping about how you couldn't get that close to the stones---which I knew from the last time. But I felt like we were fairly close. And I got the kids up early, and used our location west of London to our advantage by getting out there by 10:00, before the big tour buses from London, so it wasn't that crowded.

Comments from Anna: The stones were more close together than I thought they would be

Comments from Alex: "I don't want anything I say to go in your blog."





Obligatory poses in front of the stones.






Anna taking a picture of Alex taking a picture of Anna taking a picture...




Lots of sheep in the fields around the stones.





Salisbury Cathedral.




Stone carving on the facade of the cathedral.




A present-day exhibit at the cathedral -- these sculptures were strategically placed all over the cathedral, inside and out. It was a little jarring.




Anna standing in front of the new baptismal font inside the cathedral.

No comments:

Post a Comment